After much head scratching, doodling and viewing the acoustic guitar from different angles like a beautiful piece of art, the team decided upon a football table! I’m still not sure how we came to that decision!
Now the team had to put the the scribbles into practice. All upcyclers will know this is the most exciting if not slightly daunting process. The reality really challenges the theories!
So, to begin we very carefully cut the top off of the guitar being careful not to cut through the neck of the guitar. We couldn’t have the guitar equivalent of a broken neck! Once that was done the team sat back and admired our work and how the guitar was constructed. It’s at this stage your scribbles are challenged.
Once the top was off, the team fixed wooden blocks inside the bottom of the guitar to be used as a fixing point for the legs. For the legs we decided to use a second hand bar stool. I know you are thinking how clever – a band, gig venues, pubs and clubs…bar stool! Okay moving swiftly on…the legs would be fixed up through the base of the guitar into the wooden blocks inside the guitar.
Next we found a piece of MDF and shaped it to the guitar and laid and fixed this into the base of the guitar, using the wooden blocks as fixing points. Now we had the basis of our vision. Hooray! The next step was to use a couple of metal rods that would be used to attach our superhero ‘footballer’ figures too. I forget to mention, our customer was a mad superhero fan (particulary Spider man!), so it seemed a shame to have standard footballers for this special football table. So off to the toy shop – this job really does have it’s perks!
So we now had Spider-Man and his arch enemy The Green Goblin (so I am told by my nephew!). We drilled through both figures and through the metal poles so that we could attach the figures via a screw and nut. Either end of the poles we had to remember the rubber stoppers and springs. The team painted and decorated the inside of the guitar with the football stadium effect. At this point we all sat down to have a lovely cup of tea…not too milky!
After the last sip of tea we got back to work. We decided the top should be a thick Perspex sheet that was obviously clear but able to withstand any drinks being placed on top. This was cut, gently sanded around the cut edge and then very carefully and attached to the guitar. To finish the project we used old bathroom pullcord light handles, and attached them to the poles. The team replaced the guitar strings and gave everything a wipe down and polish. Job done!
The team packed all of the tools away, locked up the workshop and went home rather pleased with our work. Isn’t upcycling fun!