Oxfam Bookshop St Albans
One of the oldest Squadrons formed on 16th April 1916. In the first great war, the Squadron was credited with the shooting down of the German zeppelin L48 with the loss of 17 lives and in World War II, it was the first bomber Squadron to do an armed reconnaissance of the German battle fleet in Wilhelmshaven docks only a few hours after the declaration of war at 11.00 hours on the 3rd September 1939. Operating on Harrows and Wellingtons from Feltwell at the outbreak of the last war, it was posted to 205 group of Middle East commands desert air force and proceeded from Shallufa, through Abu Sueir, El Alamein and also landing grounds of Libya in 1940-1943, harassing Rommels retracting axis forces. From 1942-45 from its Foggia base in Italy, flying Wellingtons and Liberators 37 Squadron was engaged in the destruction of the oil installations in the Balkans, and mining the Danube. The Squadron lost 450 aircrew, and it was finally disbanded at Khormaksar Aden on the 6th September 1967. The Squadrons standard was presented and housed in the R.A.F church of St Clement Danes.
See Oxfam website for delivery information