* want to progress your dream of sheepkeeping towards a reality?
* want to know more about sheep before taking the plunge?
* currently have sheep but feel a little out of your depth?
On this day course we intend to show what sheep keeping is really all about. Give you hands-on experience and answer your questions so you can start to become familiar with the realities and feel confident about keeping sheep
Over the last 15 years we have built and managed a successful smallholding (while remaining in full-time employment and raising two children). Our knowledge and experience covers cattle, pigs, sheep and chickens as well as how to deal with the paperwork.
The sheep course covers
* Registering your smallholding for keeping sheep
* Planning the number of sheep to have
* Preparing for the sheep to arrive (Housing, feed, fencing etc)
* Choosing your sheep and bringing them home
* Settling your sheep in
* Daily routines
* Possible disease and signs to watch for
* Routine health care
* How best to grow your sheep
* Grassland management
* Getting ewes in lamb
* Lambing and weaning
* Preparation for slaughter
* Butchery at home
* Selling your produce
Lots of hands-on opportunity. We have a small flock due to lamb around the course date so we hope to be able to show you lambs and maybe even the lambing itself..but mother nature is in charge of that!
Tea and coffee available throughout the day.
Set of colour notes to take away.
£65 per person including notes and refreshments
Course run from 9am till 1pm