Practise Safe Second Hand
Please don't let common sense be clouded by what looks like an unbelievable bargain. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is!
Please take a moment to read the following tips which will help you stay safe when dealing with strangers.
Face to Face is Best
- Where possible, meet face to face to see the item and exchange payment.
- When meeting a stranger, always ensure there is someone else with you or meet in a public place.
- Don't take large amounts of cash with you when meeting someone you don't know.
Preloved Does Not Handle Payment
- Preloved do not handle any payments for transactions on the site and therefore cannot guarantee any payments made. If you receive a message asking you to make a payment via Preloved or claiming that Preloved will protect your payment it will be fake. Please report it to us immediately.
- Unless you are paid in cash, always wait for payment to clear before handing over goods. Remember, in some situations (particularly overseas payments) a payment could still be withdrawn by the bank after it has cleared. Talk to your bank for more information on this.
- If you are being paid cash, study the notes for signs of counterfeit by feeling the paper, studying the printing, checking the watermark and the metallic thread. More information on checking for counterfeit money is at the Bank of England web site
- If you are sending an item through the post, always obtain proof of posting and ensure the parcel is adequately insured against loss up to the full value of the item. The Post Office provides a "Certificate of Posting" for free, giving compensation for low value items.
- If you are receiving money through PayPal, ensure you meet the requirements of their seller protection scheme. This includes retaining proof of delivery that can be tracked online.
- If you are receiving money through PayPal or other online payment service, don't rely on an email confirmation that you have received funds as this may have been faked. Always log into your account to confirm this by typing the address directly into your browser (don't follow links in the email). Also note that PayPal does NOT hold funds pending delivery of an item.
- If you make a payment before receiving an item, you risk losing that money if the item never arrives or is not as described.
- If you have to make payment before receiving the item, consider paying via PayPal who will often provide compensation should you not receive the item or if it is significantly not as described.
- If you make a payment to someone by crediting their bank account via Internet banking or BACS, that payment cannot later be reversed.
- It pays to have an HPI check when purchasing a second hand vehicle. This check will help you determine whether a car has been clocked, stolen or is a repaired insurance write off.
- Remember, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is!
If you see any suspicious activity on Preloved, please report it to us immediately.
Find out more
We've got more specific advice about staying safe on our blog:
You can also learn more about staying safe online at the following web sites: