When you pack everything and live like a tortoise for anything between a weekend and a few weeks, you get inventive. Organisation reaches a new level as you try to fit your bedroom, kitchen and living items into one space. People who own a caravan and travel for weeks at a time develop some truly impressive skills over time. Here are some of our favourite caravan hacks.
1. Start by using pegs and hooks on tooth paste for easy access.
2. Shoes can be stored vertically to avoid having to pile them up. You can use old towel hangers or some leftover bungee cable.
3. You can store your fruit in an upcycled t-shirt which has been turned into a netted bag.
4. Forget soggy flip flips and slipping around whilst attempting to get back to your caravan. By adding this wooden platform, washing off beach and river water will be a breeze. You will also feel less squeamish about communal showers. We’ve all been there.
5. If you are into cooking, you will know the struggle that is packing cupboard staples. You don’t need full sizes of everything, so labelling small containers such as Tic Tac boxes and decanting part of your supply is the way forward. Especially because they will fit better into drawers or a “Spices Tupperware”.
6. Can we just take a moment to admire this genius contraption? No more need for damp-smelling towels.
7. These campers use a pool noodle to channel the water condensation from the air con away from the canvas.
8. If you have DIY skills, you might want to try this! Perhaps not capable of holding adults, these fold up “bunk beds” might work for children or, dare we say it, pets?! Talk about maximising space!
Let us know if you have tried any of these! Also share with us any other caravan hacks that you and your family do!