Seeing your caravan, car or van growing with green algae is always a sad sight. However, fear not! Here’s the Preloved guide on how to remove the green algae from your vehicle.
How to remove green algae from your caravan
To make your life easier, try to avoid letting green algae grow in the first place. Wash your caravan every few weeks with warm soapy water to avoid the algae building up over time, and save yourself more time in the long run!
Removing green algae process
- Be sure to use something to kill off the spores but won’t damage the paintwork
- Avoid scrubbing with iron wool or brillo pads. This might damage the caravan and will not kill the algae spores and they will grow back
- Avoid using pressure cleaners as the water can get in the seams and damage your caravan.
- Use a soft car brush and a bucket of water or a low-pressure hose.
- Set aside a whole weekend for the job: you’ll need to do small parts at a time to avoid tiring yourself out or rushing the job
Best products for removing green algae from a caravan
- Fenwicks Caravan Cleaner (one cap full to one bucket of water) is what we’d recommend as the best product overall – £11.99
- For cleaning on a budget you can use Aldi Black Streak Remover for cleaning black streaks, which can be used with Aldi Caravan Cleaner – £2.99 each
- Muc-Off – great as you simply spray on and then leave for a few minutes before rubbing off that is also great on black streaks. It is, however, a slightly more expensive option, from £9.99 for 1L
- Finishing up with a good coat of polish will ensure the algae will take longer to come back
- We recommend Meguiars Pure Wax, Mer the Ultimate Caravan polish (which is specifically designed for caravans) and Autoglym for a more upmarket finish- £11.70
How to remove Green Algae from your car
To remove green algae from your car paint, we’d recommend following a similar process to cleaning the caravan as above, but ensure that you polish your car using the correct product.
Fenwicks Caravan Cleaner is also great for removing green algae from cars, plus will leave a sheen on your car meaning you won’t have to polish once you’re done!
You will also be able to use a pressure washer on your car, where you wouldn’t be able to with a caravan.
Now, you can enjoy your gleaming pride and joy, and it’s ready to take for a whirl! Check out the rest of our caravan guides here
Buy easier and sell faster and upgrade your Preloved membership for as little as £5 – what Preloved gems could you find?