If you are thinking about getting your hands on a caravan or campervan, now is the time to start looking. While the dream is to get a caravan fit for use, the reality is that caravans that have already been renovated or customised will be more expensive. You don’t necessarily have to buy “a project”, but a slightly dated motorhome will allow for a makeover that won’t break the bank.
If you are still undecided about whether to invest in a holiday dream maker, here are some examples of what you can accomplish.
1. If you want to paint the outside of the caravan, you will most probably have to buff off the old paint with wire wool – for your sanity, look into a drill attachment. You will also need to remove the rust and give it a good clean. Remember to use exterior paint!
2. Don’t feel you can’t put your own stamp on it. Posters, stencils and wallpaper, oh my!
3. Caravans and campervans are a great way to get your upcycling cap on. It will also help you think outside the box in terms of design and storage, as you will be living in closed quarters, probably with at least another human being and potentially with a couple of little ones.
4. Add personal touches everywhere. Don’t feel that because it’s a small space it has to be minimalistic. Blankets, prints, cushions, bunting, flowers, ornaments. All the things!
5. Some people have even resorted to having a caravan in their back garden as a guest room.
6. This couple live in a repurposed school bus. You can find more photos of their home here.
7. And just think of all the trips you can make. You don’t need to complete strip it and start over if you don’t want to. Use it a few times; maybe give it a lick of paint. Figure out what this new addition to the family needs and then make a conscientious effort to improve what you have.
Share with us photos of your memory makers!