Did you know 10th-16th January is Houseplant Week UK? Established by chartered horticultural TV presenter, David Domoney, the second week in January is a time to celebrate the beauty and the benefits of plants inside the home. And we’re kicking off #houseplantweek2022 with our Top 5 houseplants for the living room.
1) Swiss Cheese Plant (monstera deliciosa)
- Height: Up to 1.8m.
- Light: Avoid direct sunlight, but this beauty loves a bright or lightly shaded spot.
- Watering & Feeding: Water your Swiss Cheese once the soil’s dried out a little, and feed once a month during spring and summer.
- Location: This guy needs a lot of space. Maintain a temperature of 18 degrees for it to grow but it can survive 10-24.
Look for Swiss Cheese plants available on Preloved
2) Snake Plant (sansevieria trifasciata)
- Height: Up to 1.2m.
- Light: Try and keep it in a bright space without direct sunlight to keep the leaves brightly coloured.
- Watering & Feeding: Moderate watering in Spring in Summer, with monthly feeds, and very sparingly during winter.
- Location: This chap isn’t too fussy and can tolerate a draught or a dry room. It favours temperatures of 10-26 degrees.
Look for Snake plants available on Preloved
3) Kentia Palm (howea fosteriana)
- Height: Up to 3m.
- Light: Keep away from direct sunlight, but a nice bright room is a favourite of the Kentia Palm.
- Watering & Feeding: Keep the compost moist in spring and summer with monthly feeds, and reduce for winter months.
- Location: This plant isn’t too keen on dry rooms and needs a little humidity so keep away from radiators.
Look for Kentia plants available on Preloved
4) Fiddle Leaf Fig (ficus lyrata)
- Height: Up to 3m.
- Light: Keep your fig in a bright space but avoid direct sunlight.
- Watering & Feeding: Feed monthly in Spring and Summer and try and keep watering to when the top few cm of soil have dried out.
- Location: This giant loves a warm space, but keep away from radiators. They’re really not keen on being moved, so try and keep them in one place.
Look for Fiddle Leaf Figs available on Preloved
5) ZZ Plant (zamioculcas zamiifolia)
- Height: Up to 1m.
- Light: Prefers a bright space but avoid direct sunlight, and can copy with a little shade.
- Watering & Feeding: Not a fan of wet soil, allow the top couple of inches of soil to dry between watering.
- Location: The ZZ enjoys a warm, dry space, around 15-24 degrees.
Look for ZZ plants available on Preloved